The Benefits of Hiring a Patent Attorney
Do you have a great idea for an invention? The key to making your dream a reality is getting a patent for your idea, so that no one can steal it and claim it as their own. While you are free to file a patent application on your own, partnering with an experienced patent attorney from Dodd Call Black can save you a lot of frustration in the long run.
A patent attorney can help you by:
- Helping you document and file all necessary forms including descriptions and drawings of your invention
- Determining the patentability of an item. This means investigating whether the item is useful, novel, innovative, unique, and likely to market well.
- Performing patent infringement research to ensure that your invention does not encroach on another inventor’s idea in the U.S. or in a foreign country.
- Reviewing your patent application to make sure it is free from errors and filing it
- Paying applicable application fees
While it is possible to complete these steps yourself, it does require a lot of time between researching, reading, writing descriptions, and creating drawings. The average research time for a single patent application can take a few hundred hours. The process also involves having solid writing and project management skills.
To ensure a successful patent application, you should partner with an experienced patent attorney. Contact Dodd Call Black to speak with one of our attorneys about your new invention and how we can help you obtain patents, trademarks, or copyrights.